Are you planning a wedding? Are you overwhelmed with all of the decisions? One of the most important questions you’re probably asking is “how do I choose a wedding photographer?” I’m here to help with that one and hopefully take at least one decision off your plate!
Thoroughly review your potential photographer’s portfolio
When choosing a photographer, there is a lot to consider. First, choose someone whose style aligns with your vision. If you like light and more airy looking photos, a photographer with a more dark, warm, or moody style is not the best choice for you. If you’re looking for more candid looking photos, a photographer with a classic or editorial style is probably not the best fit.
Another reason to look at their portfolio is to make sure they’re experienced in weddings. Photographing a wedding can be really overwhelming to someone who’s never done it!
Choose a photographer whose personality you mesh well with
You’re going to spend all day with the person you hire. So, it’s important to make sure you like them personally as well as professionally! How quickly did they respond to your inquiry? Did they just throw a price list at you and call it a day? Do they seem enjoyable to be around? Are they organized? These are all things to consider!
Make sure they follow good business practices
When you choose a wedding photographer, make sure you choose someone you can trust with your money as well as your images. After all, this is your wedding day, and you can’t get those moments back. So, here are a few things to make sure they have:
- A solid contract for both parties to sign
- A secure method of payment
- Good reviews on Google or Facebook
Choosing a wedding photographer: A few questions to ask potential choices
What I’ve talked about so far should be the bare minimum requirement for hiring someone. However, there are some more questions to ask in order to make sure they’re the best fit. Here are some things to ask:
- When can I expect to receive my images after my wedding day and how are they delivered? Your photographer should set the expectation on how long it will take to get images back. It can take anywhere between 4-12 weeks to get photos back depending on the photographer and time of year. Images are typically delivered digitally.
- What is your cancellation policy? If your event is cancelled, there is a good chance your retainer is non-refundable. So, make sure you know the policy ahead of time.
- What happens if you have an emergency and can’t make my wedding? Most photographers send an associate photographer in their place in case of emergency, or a full refund is offered.
- How will you ensure my images aren’t lost? A professional photographer has multiple backup methods, such as multiple memory cards or hard drives to store images on.
- What is your printing policy? Some photographers might require that you print your photos through them, so make sure you ask!
- Do you charge for travel? If your event isn’t local for the photographer, there may be extra fees involved.
I hope this has helped you with choosing a wedding photographer! If you want more wedding planning tips, check out some of my other blog posts or find me on TikTok or Instagram!
Instagram and TikTok: @lauraskebbaphoto